Sunday, August 14, 2011

South Fork Snoqualmie River

I work out of North Bend, WA  and decided to try out some of the local fishing around work. There are many options of places to fish around here including Rattlesnake Lake, the three forks of the Snoqualmie River, Taylor River, Platte River, and many other lakes and rivers. I have fished Rattlesnake before it became catch and release only last October and had great luck, planning to go soon.

Yesterday, however brought me to the South Fork of the Snoqualmie River. I pulled off the Interstate 90 at exit 38. Here you can find Olallie State Park and many other trail heads great for exploring. Parking just across from the off ramp you need no passes and have quick access to the water. Never fishing here before but hearing some from the locals I armed Gus (Loop Evo-Tech, 9'-0", 5 wt, 3 piece rod, Ross Reel and floating line) with a size 12 brown elk hair caddis (I would recommend a Parachute Adams, Royal Coachman, or Mosquito as well). I also rigged up my two sinking tip rods but would soon discover, at least in this portion of the river, no need for sinking tip.

Heading to the water just up river from the bridge was a good looking bend (river left). Scattered in the water like pepper on a steak were countless boulders up stream forming numerous pools and holding water likely with fish.Working my way back and forth across the river I hit every location I could. In about 2 hours I had worked my way about a quarter mile or so up river. In total I landed probably a dozen rainbow trout ranging from 4-8". No trophies but fun entertainment for the short time on the water. This branch of river is much smaller than the Middle Fork but has potential to have some bigger fish lurking. I recommend hitting the open water as well between the boulders as this is were my biggest fish were caught and scene. I did not wear waders today as the water was a comfortable temperature above 50 degrees. The rocks are slippery and would recommend felt bottom shoes, although I managed with some Merrell, Vibram soled hydro shoes.

After fishing I did some exploring and found Weeks Fall pictured in this blog. I also ventured over to the Middle Fork and scouted for future fishing opportunity. This river is much bigger and I feel I could be catching some nice fish here soon.

Summary
Location: South Fork Snoqualmie River, near Olallie State Park, exit 38 of I-90, 35 min east of Seattle
Time: 3-5pm
Rod: 5 wt w/ floating line
Tackle: 12 brown elk hair caddis (I would recommend a Parachute Adams, Royal Coachman, or Mosquito as well)
Fish: 10+
Species: Rainbow
Biggest Fish: 8"
Smallest Fish: 4"
Rating: 7/10
Weeks Falls

4 comments:

  1. You should post some pics mate

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fished here a couple of weeks ago in the rain, only caught a few small fish. Not sure if fish moved to slower deeper water further south. I should have tried the Tolt river I think it would have been better to fish at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried here and had no luck. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.