Thursday, September 1, 2011

Tolt River, WA

Planned today to go mountain bike the Middle Fork Trail, along the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, but ended up with a late start to the day after an oil change and finding a bike for my buddy. He works in Redmond, so I pulled out my map to find where I could go. Originally, I planned to fish the North Fork Snoqualmie River, but with little time I ventured out to the Tolt River just east of Carnation. This river is much like other rivers flowing out of the Cascades towards the Puget Sound; cold water, crystal clear, large smooth rocks, and lots of trees along the shore. I ventured near the end of the Tolt River road to a public fishing pull out nestled between some local resident housing. There is a trail here that follows the river, how far I do not know, I made it about a quarter of a mile down river. Fishing with Gus and an Olive Elk Hair Caddis I managed 4 fish in the hour I was there. This river has some good size to it and like most other Northern Cascade Rivers finding a deeper hole or pockets behind boulders was not too difficult. The trip was short but the fishing worth it. I plan to come back another day with more time and find the bigger fish.

Summary:
Location: Tolt River, East of Carnation, WA
Time: 12:45 - 1:45pm
Rod: 5 wt w/ floating line
Tackle: 12 brown elk hair caddis, I would recommend a Parachute Adams, Mosquito or Royal Coachman as well
Fish: 4
Species: Cutthroat & Rainbow
Biggest Fish: 10"
Smallest Fish: 7"
Rating: 7.5/10

 Tolt River
Tolt River

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.