Sunday, September 4, 2011

Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, WA

Finally, I fished the Middle Fork after driving past it and fishing the Taylor several times. This river is great. Reminds me of the Washougal River, on the Washington and Oregon border. Another premature, Cascade river, the water was cool and the weather was great. My good buddy Sean and I took the day away from the city to sit by the river, catch some fish, and have a couple hot dogs at the end of the day. Stopping by the Creekside fly shop in Issaquah on the way out the gentlemen working their told us the fish would be slow to rise in the middle of the day. Being as we only had time to kill and weather to enjoy we fished a small section of the river slowly but thoroughly. Starting at mid day and finishing to a setting sun I caught many fish, while my buddy lounged on a rock formed into a chair. The man was right in that the fish really don't like to surface during the day but I found my ways around this. He made it seem like it wouldn't be worth my time but I beg the differ. On a river where fish will surface for most bugs small and close to resident bugs there are two solutions to catching fish during the day. The first is letting you dry bug sink and drifting it under the surface, and the other being nymphing. Both worked and both caught fish. There are bigger fish in the Middle Fork than on the South Fork or Taylor River. I saw several fish over 12" and most fish caught were 8" or better. Nymphing I used a black stone with a copper emerger for a dropper. Strip this set up through deeper holes where you can see fish and more fish will emerge for the chase. As I mentioned earlier, any small dry bug will work that is a common pattern (Elk Hair Caddis, Mosquito, Parachute Adams, and Black Nat). when your bug sinks at the end of the drift let it swing to the shore and you might get a sub surface bite on the line.

Summary:
Location: Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, exit 34 off I-90, go North on 468th to Middle Fork Rd, follow road to river
Time: 2-8pm
Rod: 5 wt w/ floating line and 5 wt w; sinking tip
Tackle: Stone Nymph, Emergers, Olive/Tan Elk Hair Caddis, Mosquito, Parachute Adams, and Black Nat
Fish: 20+
Species: Cutthroat Rainbow
Biggest Fish: 12"
Smallest Fish: 4"
Rating: 8/10

 Can you see Sean?
 Middle Fork Snoqualmie River
 Middle Fork Snoqualmie River
 Middle Fork Snoqualmie River
 Rock Chair
Middle Fork Snoqualmie River

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.