Saturday, June 2, 2012

Icicle Creek, WA

     I have never been to this river in my life and didn't know what to expect. I planned to take my dog to a rattlesnake aversion class on Sunday in Wenatchee and figured I would make a weekend of it so I set out to go camping. I asked on of my other fishing friends if he would recommend anywhere to try near Wenatchee besides the Methow (which really isn't that close to Wenatchee). I mentioned the Entiat to him and he just replied, "check out Icicle Creek" so I did.
    Thursday, I set out after work with an extra day on my weekend thinking I could get some extra fishing in Friday. What I remembered halfway there was that all the rivers would still be closed until Saturday. Icicle creek did have an emergency open for Summer Chinook, but I wasn't planning to fish for those nor did I have my endorsement. So, instead when I got there I did some exploring around all Friday and tired my dog and mother's out before I set out to try and fish one of the local lakes near Lake Wenatchee. I was prepared for this and didn't bring my boat but only my float tube, hence why I tired the dogs instead of heading straight for the lake. I arrived at Fish Lake around 4pm to be greeted by very grey skis, high winds, and rain. Asked the nice lady at The Cove what the story was and she said it would be a little rough. There were numerous pictures of 5lb + bows and browns on the counter all caught in May. It was tempting but I didn't do feeling for the puppies and instead asked about what else she new. She like the guy at the ranger station also recommended the half mile hike into Hidden Lake for Eastern Brook Trout. Seeing as the weather wasn't looking any nicer and I was without a puppy sitter I opted to go back to camp and spend more time with the dogs but vowed to come back and fish both these lakes.
   Saturday was a different story. I got up in the morning and took the dogs down to Bridge Creek Campground where I had seen a big pool and some good riffles. Fished this for maybe and hour before deciding the river was probably too blown out after all and clarity down right stunk this low. Went back to camp and waited for my Mom to arrive so I good go fish the upper parts of the river I scouted the day before. The only problem is we went to get a brat, since I had never taken the time to stop in Leavenworth except for the Safeway for gas, food, beer, and ice, and ended up spending all of the afternoon and evening on a wine walk. Probably to tipsy to be driving around when I got back I again opted to fixing dinner and sitting by the campfire talking with my Mom.
   Sunday, I thought about fishing again but Lexi was acting pretty sick from too much river water or too rich of iron faucet water that I hurried into town for cell service to check in with the vet. She ended up being ok and both of the pups did great in their rattlesnake aversion class, at least lets hope it stuck as good as it appeared to.
   TO THE POINT
     Fishing Icicle Creek opening day is probably not really worth it, at least this year with the later snow melts and river conditions that was true. The river is pocket fishing. There are a bunch of holes but they are spaced at times good distances apart as this river has huge rapids. Again that may be more because of how early in the year it was or how heavy the snow melt currently was. Icicle Creek George Loop has great river access on both sides but is fairly far up river meaning probably smaller fish. There are plenty of places to park and leap frog the river on the mid to lower section however as well. I hope to go back in late July or August when the river has mellowed out and the weather is a bit warmer. This place was beautiful and had lots to offer.

Summary:
Location: Icicle Creek, near Leavenworth, WA
Time: 10am - 11:30pm
Rod: 5wt w/ floating line & 5wt w/ sinking line
Tackle: Hoffman stone caddis w/ olive prince dropper, and parachute adams
Fish: 0
Species: Bows and Cutts
Biggest Fish: N/A
Smallest Fish: N/A
Rating: 3/10

This was up river where I didn't get to fish and you can see doesn't look to bent out of shape

Just some cool rapids

This is down just below Bridge Creek where I could tell will have better water when the river drops to steadier flows.

1 comment:

  1. mmm brats. Just got back fro Leavenworth and had a pretty similar experience fishing Icicle honestly. Things probably heat up more later in the season (or at least I'm hoping). Lots of melt and fast waters. Fun place regardless

    ReplyDelete

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.