Sunday, May 27, 2012

Snake River, WA (Day 2)

This day would have pretty much the same story as the previous day except that I tried fishing The Pond, we got a much earlier start to Cat Fishing that did not pay off, I tried a bunch of different bait tricks that didn't pay off, and I caught a 9lb carp. See also Snake River (Day 1).

We went bait fishing again which was a lot of fun. Planned are day better and headed down to the water earlier to catfish. I decided this time to bring my bait pole and bait fish to pass the time. So casting a worm out there we waited while one of us cat fished. Dalton caught a catfish pretty early and then my bait pull bent down. We didn't know what to think. Did I hook a massive cat on a worm? As the fish got closer it wasn't a cat or a sucker. Seeing its size, knowing I had 4# test, and there was about 20' of 6" deep water covering 1' deep mud I played the fish as gently as I could until it got shallow enough I could hand Dalton the rod and run out there with a net. Pulling it on shore and putting it on the scale the fish came in between 8.75 and 9lbs. That was pretty cool. Cutting this fish up and looking at its bloody meat I winged it out for a try with no success. I used non coolered bait, bait soaked in elk blood, bait injected with garlic, plain bait, it didn't matter, by the end of the night I had caught no cats, Dalton landed on more, and Kevin getting fed up with the crowd on the boat came a shore to catch one cat. Catching that carp was a blast though.

Summary:
Location: Snake River, near Lyon's Ferry State Park WA (That's all I have been given permission to tell the public)
Time: 12-3pm (bait) 5pm-12am (Cat Fish)
Rod: 2-4# spinner with 6# test and 4# leader (bait), 8-12# spinner with 12# test and 10# leader (Cats)
Tackle: Bait - Worms, Cats - Whatever bait you caught
Fish: 15+
Species: Sucker, Bass, Peamouth, Pikeminnow, Channel Cat, Flathead Cat, Bull Head Cat, Carp
Biggest Fish: 9# Carp
Smallest Fish: 8" peamouth
Rating: 8/10

The Fight

The Carp

Palouse Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.