Sunday, May 13, 2012

F8 (Fate) Lake, WA

This lake actually has no name and I've been advised to keep its whereabouts under wraps. I thought of a figure eight when I was at this lake and thought of F8 and then if you use slang you get Fate (F-eight). The lake is formed by the holding of an irrigation channel. There was a series of four lakes or so, two of which we had access to without getting out of the water.

Anyways I was asked by Dalton on Monday if I wanted to join Paul (Mom's boyfriend) and Kevin (Dalton's brother) out at the lake over the weekend. Of course I said yes and after my dog locked our keys in the parking lot of QFC and a 3.5 hour drive later we ended up at a lake between Othello and Mesa, Washington. I was told before the trip that there were large mouth bass, crappie, and walleye in this lake. I know how to fish for bass and crappie but had no idea how to fish for walleye and figured we would be catching many anyways. Boy was I wrong, there were maybe 20 walleye caught, 1 bass, and 1 crappie. None by me. I lost a walleye early in the morning Saturday but that was the beginning and end of my luck for the weekend. I can make excuses, mostly blaming the fact our boat trolled way too fast on the slowest speed, but I really didn't care and know what I would do different next time. There were great cliffs to jump off, the water felt good, the sun was out, and the beer was cold.

Paul and Kevin (in the other boat trolling much slower) used mostly soft jigs and worms and had good success in the early morning and late evening. The crappie and a walleye was caught on a small black jig. If you ask me I will tell you where I went individually but not publicly over the web.

Next time, I would use a boat with an actual trolling motor, or get in my float tube and use my flippers for a good speed. I plan to go back and fly fish this lake much harder, being as all of Saturday I trolled a jig or cast a spinner. Sunday I did use a glass minnow with no success. The walleye were hanging on the bottom in 12' of water and the crappie came in late in the evening. There looked like good bass structure but I didn't see the only bass caught as it was before I got there.

Summary
Location: F8 (Fate) Lake, Connell, WA
Time: 6am-9pm Sat, 9am-11am Sunday
Rod: Ultra light spinner, 5 wt/sinking line.
Tackle: Spinners, soft baits, spoons, and glass minnow
Fish: 0(me) 20ish
Species: Walleye, Large Mouth Bass, Crappie
Biggest Fish: 23" (Walleye)
Smallest Fish: 12" (Crappie)
Rating: 8/10
 That in let was the hot-spot
 Looking north in the hot sun
The south side of the lake was 75' deep

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.