Monday, September 5, 2011

Big Twin Lake, WA

This trip was a wild trip. Sometime Sunday night I figured out that I would have Labor Day off. So what did I do? I jump in my van and drove to the North Central part of the state. I have heard many a times that the Methow River is a great river to fish. So I went to check it out. After pulling in sometime after midnight, I slept in my car at Foggy Dew Camp Ground. Waking up to sunlight and having no idea where I should fish on the river I headed further north up the river to the city of Winthrop. The fly shop wasn't to open until 9 or 10am and it was only 8am. In passing the tie I started to explore a bit coming across Twin Lakes. Big Twin Lake is still a small lake. There is a camp and RV site along the northern part of the lake as well. As I approached the lake an older woman getting out of the water told me I was about 2 hours late but could still give it a try. By now it was late summer and the water was well above 70 degrees. In these conditions fishing in the early morning produce the most fish near the surface. She also gave me a little clue that her yellow marabou was working the best. With that I hurried myself into the water with a black woolly bugger trailed by the only small yellow fly I had, a sand shrimp. Fishing for a little over an hour I produced several bites and landed 3 fish. The average size fish in this lake ranges from 14-17". There are also triploid that can get even bigger. If you can fish in the early morning when fishing in late summer. Getting to the water after or around 9am you need to go deep. I used a sinking tip with a 9 foot leader to get my bugs down. The most action seamed to be found on the south west side of the lake.

Summary:
Location: Big Twin Lake, Southwest of Winthrop, WA
Time: 9:00am-11:am
Rod: 5 wt w/ sinking tip
Tackle: 8 black woolly bugger with a  14 sand shrimp yellow dropper; would use a 14 marabou yellow, wine/brown/green woolly bugger, and emergers. (Fished from float tube)
Fish: 3
Species: Rainbow
Biggest Fish: 16"
Smallest Fish: 13"
Rating: 7.5/10

 Big Twin Lake
 Damsel Fly on Rod Tip
 From the Water of Big Twin Lake

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.