Sunday, April 22, 2012

Fivemile Lake

     I moved to Federal Way for my new job with Kiewit and there are a handful of lakes near my house. My buddy Dalton and I took Saturday (the day before) to drive around and see what each of the lakes were like and which ones we should fish first. In the morning I went out in my float tube and within 30min I hooked up while. While reeling in the fish Dalton called and he wanted to join me. So I got out, picked up a raft, and Dalton and I were back on the water that afternoon. Fishing planted fish they like to eat bait early after they have been stocked, at least they tend to. So we rigger up out fly rods with a wolly bugger, 10" of tippet, barrel swivel, 10" more tippet and a hook with worm. Having never been on the lake and occupied by beer we floated around finding were the fish hung out the most. Dalton lost a few and I managed to land one after floating around for an hour. What we did figure out is the fish were indeed hanging out in the middle third of the lake on the western side. We focused are drift on that side of the lake and in the next two hours we picked up six more fish and lost several others. Enticed by the heat we called it a day and bbq'd at Steele Lake to give it a look. In all over the weekend we looked at Fivemile, Steele, Geneva, and Dolloff Lake, along with Lake Kallarney. Fivemile, Steele, and Geneva are planted by F&W and promise to be good fisheries this spring.
     I should mention that this lake does have a good fishing dock that Dalton caught a fish off of Saturday and has never been crowded while I have been at the lake in four visits.

Summary
Location: Fivemile Lake, Federal Way, WA off of Military Road
Time: 9am-5pm
Rod: 5 wt w/ floating line
Tackle: Wolly buggers and the occasional worm dropper
Fish: 9
Species: Rainbow
Biggest Fish: 14"
Smallest Fish: 11"
Rating: 8/10
Looking north from the middle of the lake
 One of the fish we caught
Dalton's fish off the dock

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.