Saturday, July 28, 2012

Cedar River, WA


A friend approached me, via email and text, asking if I would want to spend a day working with Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing. What they are about, "dedicated to the physical and emotional rehabilitation of disabled active military service personnel and disabled veterans through fly fishing and associated activities including education and outings." Personally as this blog suggest, I love to share my joy of fly fishing with others and if you're going to give me the opportunity to give back to the men and women who have given so much for me through what I love most, you really didn't have to ask. Needless to say I was honored and excited to spend a day on the water with some veterans and service members. What I didn't know is the life changing experience it was going to be. Below pictured with me is Randle, a veteran, with a son that served as well. I have never spent a long time teaching or fishing with a stranger before but I can tell you I enjoyed fishing with Randle more than most people I have fished with in my life. He had great stories to tell, had a great sense of humor, and loved to be on the water. The stories he told me touched my heart and I would love to share them except that I want to keep his personal and private matters that.

Anyways back to the fishing part! We had two residents of the area let us use their property. The first one where we BBQ'd had a few great holes. Unfortunately Randle and I got the short end of the stick maybe or just bad luck but we didn't catch anything. What this did lead to however was getting invited to the second property and probably the best fishing hole on the river. This is also where I was taught that although it seams like a 12" fish on this river is a lunker, you haven't caught squat unless its over 20". The gentleman who owned this property tells me the biggest he has caught was 24" and when some marine biologist swam through the spotted several of that size in the hole next to his house. He showed me a home tied 3" olive sculpin he likes to fish with.I gave it a try and had no luck. However, fishing a koffman stone and a copper john dropper I did land an "alright" fish. Randle happen to catch a fish as well.

I also learned that because much of the river bank is private the best way to fish the river is by pontoon or raft. That you fish a hole, float 50 yds down the river, get out, and fish the next, so on and so on. Overall it was a great day and a priceless one to spend with the great men and women who have protected my freedom.

Summary:
Location: Cedar River out of Maple Valley .
Time: 11am - 4pm
Rod: 5 wt w/ floating line, 5 wt w/ sinking tip
Tackle: 8 black stone nymph, 18 olive prince,14 sparkle elk hair caddis, 14 tan elk hair caddis, 12 parachute adams, size 1 olive sculpin
Species: Rainbows
Biggest Fish: 13"
Smallest Fish: 13"
Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.