Sunday, February 17, 2013

Kalama River, WA (Winter Steelhead)

After floating this river last weekend we had gotten smarter about what are plan of attack needed to be. We brought a couple more plugs, picked up a few tips, and found a weekend were the river had cleared up a little more. The Kalama is a funny river. It will rise really quick and drop extremely slow. If you hit it when it is right then its hot. Today turned out to be one of those days. Putting in again at red barn, we paddled up river a hair to hit the tail out of the put in. First hole = first fish! A long lean hatchery steelhead caught on a blue pirate. Excited we moved our way down the river. In the spot we had hooked up the weekend before another fish, this time a much smaller hatchery fish, but still another fish. Then just above the lower hatchery at the very start of a tail out my pole got hammered. Luckily for me, my drag was way loose and the fish was able to run. We could tell it was big and it was chrome. Pulling the boat over Kyle jumped out with the net, ran to the bank, and down river from me. I on the other hand, clumsily caught my back foot getting out of the boat and did a rolling maneuver keeping my pull tip up. Figuring out my drag as I made my way to the shore and a conveniently located beach continued to fight the fish. After a great fight we managed to land it in the net 50' down river. In the process of removing the hook we found the plug had been broke by the fish during the fight and somehow managed to stay intact enough to land the fish; a beautiful, chrome bright, wild steelhead. Getting the picture off we let him go. Continuing our float we hooked up one more time at beginner hole but lost that fish. What a great day.

Summary:
Location: Kalama River, Exit 32 off I-5, near Kalama, WA
Time: 7am-3pm
Rod: 8 wt w/ sinking tip, spey rod, spinning rod, & bait caster
Tackle: Purple egg sucking leach, black and purple streamer with an egg bead, yarn balls, bubble gum wiggle wart, blue pirate, silver/pink and other plugs.
Fish: 3
Species: Steelhead
Biggest Fish: 16lb
Smallest Fish: 6lb
Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.