Saturday, March 18, 2017

Wahiawa State Recreation Waterway, HI

Passed on Peacock bass when I was in Nicaragua so I was grateful that I was able to try and catch them in Hawaii. Picked up a guide for the friend Terry and I. The guide preferred to fish with a bobber and live bait but I like to fly fish. I can't tell you how many fish I caught. This was incredible because we were still working on coming out of a cold streak for weather on the island. I never changed my fly for the whole day and it looked like a mess by the end of it. The big boy was found sitting next to a nest which is what they are doing this time of the year. The guide at the end of the day said that I had caught more bass on a fly then he had ever seen and close to if not the most amount of fish he had seen caught in a day on the water. Mind you we only fished for half the day. Choosing the afternoon again because of weather. The biggest trick was getting the strip down. Its not a super fast strip but it is a fast one. Gotta cast right up into the sticks/bank too.

Summary:
Location: Wilson Lake
Time: 12:00PM - 6:00PM
Rod: 5 wt w/ sinking tip (guide also had a gear rod out light weight)
Tackle: depending on hook brand because I've tied a few now a size 6 or 8 would work. Fished the red eye clauser with dark green and white.
Fish: 20+
Species: Catfish, Peacock Bass, Red Devil, Perch, and Largemouth Bass
Biggest Fish: 4# Peacock
Smallest Fish: 6" Perch
Rating: 10/10






No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.