Saturday, August 18, 2012

Metolius River (Upper), OR

The river I fish the most. People may think I'm crazy or others just recognize the peer love I have for this place. My buddy and I needed a fixing and so down I drove meeting him in Portland. If I haven't said it before there is nothing easy about fishing this river. With time, patience, and a bit of luck you will have success though. I have fished this river since I could hold a fly rod in my hand. I've fished it when it was stocked and have continued to fish it since it became a protected river. What makes this river great is not only the reward of catching possibly one of the hardest fish to catch, but the scenery, smells, and locals that complete the experience. I know of few places you can catch a red-band rainbow trout, German brown, brown, rainbow trout, white fish, kokanee, brook trout, or dolley/bull trout all on the same river. Enfisizing the German brown and red-band rainbow. Two of the most unique and beautiful fish you will ever catch.With that said this would be one of those trips I caught only white fish!

Read this for more info.

Summary:
Location: Metolius River, Camp Sherman, OR, located about 100 miles (2 hrs) east of Salem, and 20 min from Sisters, OR
Time: 9am - 7pm
Rod: 5 wt w/ floating line, 5 wt w/ sinking tip
Tackle: 8 black stone nymph, 18 rainbow warrior, 18 zebra midge, 18 copper john hybrid, 10 Clark Stone, 10 Rogue Stone, 8 black and brown Pat's Stone, 16 lighting bug, 18 rainbow warrior
Fish: 4
Species: White Fish
Biggest Fish: 14"
Smallest Fish: 13"
Rating: 8/10

 No trout so you get Puppies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.