Sunday, May 5, 2013

Metolious River, OR (Upper)


I know I have said it before but this is really the greatest place you can every fish. Feeling the itch, I left from work at 11pm on a Saturday night and headed down. Arriving in the area at before sunrise, I quickly hiked up Black Butte to catch the sunrise. I then proceeded to drive to the Camp Sherman store where I grabbed 20 minutes of Z's waiting for it to open so that I could buy a license. This time of year the river is closed above Allingham bridge but there is still plenty of good river to fish. The great part about this river is the flow and clarity never really changes. Worst ever was instead of 50' of clarity the was 40' of clarity. I don't actually know that because I don't know where it is 50' deep on the upper river but its gin clear. Anyways fishing my typical holes it started slow. I landed 1 of 7 fish in Granddad's hole, 4 of 5 in the hole below pine rest, and finally the beautiful red band below.


Read this for more info.


Summary:
Location: Metolius River, Camp Sherman, OR, located about 100 miles (2 hrs) east of Salem, and 20 min from Sisters, OR
Time: 9am - 7pm
Rod: 5 wt w/ floating line, 5 wt w/ sinking tip
Tackle: 8 black stone nymph, 8 pat's stone, 18 rainbow warrior, 18 zebra midge, 18 copper john hybrid, 10 Clark Stone
Fish: 6
Species: White Fish & Red Band Rainbow
Biggest Fish: 18"
Smallest Fish: 11"
Rating: 9.5/10




1 comment:

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.