Saturday, September 29, 2012

Wynoochee River, WA (Coho & Chum)

I've been in the area for a month now and have found a place in Montesano. So many people that I work with may not be thrilled to work out here but mostly that is because they have been DE-RURALIZED! Yes it does rain a little, 80+ inches compared to 40+ in Seattle annually. Yes, the best place to get what you need is Wal-Mart. Yes, the closest "big-city" is Olympia. However, 2 miles west from my house is one of the better hatchery steelhead fisheries in WA the Wynoochee River, 4 miles east of my house is one of the top wild steelhead fisheries in WA the Satsop River, and 1 mile south of my house is a great all-around river including sturgeon the Chehalis River. Not to mention the close proximity to all the Coastal-Olympic Peninsula rivers.
This blog actually facilitates a multitude of days where co-workers and I tried to fish the mouth of the Wynoochee River for pretty much any salmon but were mostly targeting Coho and Chums. I personally never managed to hook one but a friend hooked several and showed me picture proofs. Although I haven't caught anything I am still learning. Tried various spoons, flies, and drift rigs, but no luck. It didn't help that most days we got out to fish the nets were in the river.

Summary:
Location: Wynoochee River near Montesano, WA; Twin Bridges
Time: 6pm-9pm
Rod: 8 wt w/ floating line, 8 wt w/ sinking tip, medium spinning
Tackle: Chartruese, orange, blue, white, peach, & pink varied colored streamers and flies, green, orange, and pink pixies.
Fish: 0
Species: Coho, Chum, & Steelhead
Biggest Fish: N/A
Smallest Fish: N/A
Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.