Sunday, September 2, 2012

Westport Marina, WA (Crabbing)

My work moved me out to the Grays Harbor area and I am pretty excited about that. There should be a lot of opportunity to get some good salmon, steelhead, sea-run cutthroat, surf fishing, deep sea, and trout fishing out here. Not to mention what I did this weekend and that is using my fishing rod for crab.
It was my first weekend up here and living out of a hotel I was pretty restless and at the same time excited to explore the area. Yesterday I took a drive up above Lake Quinault and checked out the upper section of the river. Ran into a guy that said there is good bull trout and sea-run cut fishing up there before the sun hits. I will have to keep that in mind. On the way back I went and cruised over to Lake Wynoochee and explored that area as well.
Anyways back to crabbing. I had gone before as a kid and with the nice weather I thought that I wouldn't mind sitting on the pier soaking in some rays. Stopped at Brady's on the way out to pick up some bait. They offer salmon carcasses, clams, oysters, and other fish. I like to put a little fish or chicken in with a ice cube size chunk of frozen oyster or clam. Using one of those box bait holders and snare contraptions I managed to land 6 keepers during the day. I gave them all away being that I am not much of a crab eater myself and was out there for pure joy. Note, if you fish off the pier towards the harbor, then you are asking to get snagged in some rocks potentially, but everything inside the marina is smooth.

Summary:
Location: Westport Marina, WA
Time: High Tide
Rod: Mid-Light Salmon Rod
Tackle: Bait Box with snares.
Crabs: 10+
Species: Red Rock & Dungeness
Biggest Crab: 6-3/4"
Smallest Crab: who knows
Rating: 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.