Saturday, July 27, 2013

Crooked River, OR

This was going to be my first annual Central Oregon tour fishing the three rivers I love best. First on the list was the Crooked. Now I had heard some stories about fish kills and such but didn't want to believe it. This river when doing well should have hundreds of almost a thousand fish per river mile. So I arrived late Friday and found a place to camp. The next day I set out looking for good water. The truth is it was hard to tell because it is very colored and visibility seams to be only a couple feet. I tied up my rig and started to fish. Thinking my fly was stuck in the algae as it often picks some up on ever cast I lifted my rod to set it free. Low and behold there was a white fish on the line and I had caught my first fish. Working behind boulders and good looking riffles I got a second take on my dry this time. A dark shadow came out of nowhere. After a short battle the fish found its way off the hook. Later in the afternoon I rustled up the fish pictured below. Gotta love a colorful redband.

Summary:
Location: Crooked River near Dam
Time: All Day
Rod: 5wt with floating line
Fly: Pink Super Laddy (hopper) with an orange scud dropper
Fish: 2/3
Biggest Fish: 14" Whitefish
Smallest Fish: 12" Red Band Rainbow
Rating: 6/10

Image may contain: outdoor and water

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment "Anonymous" leave a name so I can respond back to you, Cheers.